This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Saturday, January 05, 2008
2007 REVIEW: Part 5 - Music
And so my 2007 Review comes to an end with music. There were tons of real good releases, so much so that this could have easily been a 'Top 20', but no outstanding albums. Song-wise, though, it's a different matter. For me the best tunes of the year, in a kind of particular order, were:
Candie - easy on the ears too! Ha, actual sexism!

CANDIE PAYNE, "I Wish I Could Have Loved You More"
CANDIE PAYNE, "One More Chance"
MURRAY GOLD ft YAMIT MAMO, "The Stowaway"
DUKE SPECIAL
, "Last Night I Nearly Died"
RUFUS WAINWRIGHT, "Another Believer"
RUFUS WAINWRIGHT, "Going To A Town"
PAUL MCCARTNEY, "Dance Tonight"
THE TING TINGS, "Fruit Machine"
THE TING TINGS, "That's Not My Name"
The Ting Tings, that is their name.

RILO KILEY, "Breakin' Up"
KARINE POLWART, "Daisy"
FEIST, "1,2,3,4"
THE SHINS, "Australia"
ARCADE FIRE, No Cars Go"
BETH NEILSON CHAPMAN, "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child"
SUZANNE VEGA, "New York As A Woman"
ROBERT PLANET & ALISON KRAUSS, "Gone, Gone, Gone"
MARK RONSON ft THE WINELIST, "Valerie"
It's like she doesn't care anymore.

SUGABABES, "About You Now"
KYLIE MINOGUE, "Speakerphone" (This one's gonna big in 2008)
CHERRY GHOST, "Mathematics"
CHERRY GHOST,"4AM"
CHERRY GHOST, "Thirst For Romance"
NINA KINERT, "Through Your Eyes"
MAXIMO PARK, "Books From Boxes"
MAXIMO PARK, "Girls Who Play Guitars"
MAXIMO PARK, "Our Velocity"
Admittedly they look sh*t, but MAXIMO PARK sound great!

THE BEES, "Travelling Man"
REGINA SPEKTOR, "Fidelity"
COLD WAR KIDS, "Hang Me Up To Dry"
THE PROCLAIMERS, "Life With You"
RóISíN MURPHY, "Let Me Know"
PINK MARTINI, Hey Eugene!"
THOMAS TANTRUM, "Shake It, Shake It"
WILLY MASON ft KT TUNSTALL, "We Can Be Strong"
HARD-FI, "Can't Get Along"
Spears upset at not being in my end-of-year charts.

So here's the Top 10 albums in an actual order, although because there isn't much difference in the quality of most of them, I wouldn't call it a 'definitive' list. Congrats also go to:
CANDIE PAYNE for "I Wish I Could Have Loved You More";
JOSE GONZALEZ for "In Our Nature";
KINGS OF LEON for "Because Of The Times";
THE BEES for "Octopus";
KYLIE MINOGUE for "X";
and RILO KILEY for "Under The Blacklight"
who all just missed out on the elusive chart. I will point out that the CD (yes, some of us still use CDs) I have played most is the soundtrack to Series 3 of DOCTOR WHO. Yes, I am a geek but it's a flippin' great album. Much better than the pish below! (Joke).

2007 TOP 10 'ALBUMS'

10. MAXIMO PARK - "OUR EARTHLY PLEASURES"
9. FEIST - "THE REMINDER"

8. SUPER FURRY ANIMALS - "HEY VENUS"

7. THE SHINS - "WINCING THE NIGHT AWAY"

6. ARCADE FIRE - "NEON BIBLE"

5. FIELD MUSIC - "TONES OF TOWN"

4. RUFUS WAINWRIGHT - "RELEASE THE STARS"

3. SUZANNE VEGA - "BEAUTY & CRIME"

2. PAUL MCCARTNEY - "MEMORY ALMOST FULL"

1. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - "THE ELSE/CAST YOUR POD TO THE WIND"

Interestingly, and I use the word quite wrongly, I only have 3 of that 10 on 'hard-disk' as it were. And I only spent actual money on another 3. How times have changed. All-in-all, a real good year for music, just no remarkable albums. But I'd rather have lots of damn good releases than just one classic with heaps of garbage. A top year for the 'tune' I feel.

Feel free to comment on my Top Tens and post your own. I'd love to know what you guys & gals lurve too!


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 11:17 am -
2 Comments:
  • At 5:27 am, Blogger Richard Starkings said…

    Cam

    Well my Top Ten Albums would have to be, in no particular order.

    RAISING SAND by Robert Plant and Alison Krause
    BEAUTY & CRIME by Suzanne Vega (we caught her tour in LA and she was just fantastic.)
    KILL TO GET CRIMSON by Mark knopfler
    RADIO 1 ESTABLISHED 1967
    DRASTIC FANTASTIC by KT Tunstall (included solely for the track WHITE BIRD)
    ALRIGHT STILL by Lily Allen (new to the US in 2007)
    HVARF-HEIM by Sigur Rós (because it's a new album by Sigur Rós)
    ALL THE LOST SOULS by James Blunt (otherwise my daughter will thump me. He is the next Chris De Burgh, even if you insist that we really don't need another one)
    IN RAINBOWS by Radiohead (because it's a new album by Radiohead and ya didn't even have to pay for it, though I did)
    THE REMINDER by Feist (which I just bought because it's on so many Best of lists and I needed a ten)

     
  • At 10:45 am, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Interesting 10 Rich.

    SUZANNE VEGA came to the 'Deen a few years back (2005, I think) and was amazing. Such a good voice. I've been a fan since, gasp, 1986!

    I didn't realise SIGUR ROS had a new one out. I'll need to check that out 'cos I loved their last one.

    Top marks for mentioning CHRIS DE BURGH. I can see the similarity. Let's hope he starts singing about travelling spacemen...


    Let's also hope that others start to post their favourites too!

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives