This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Saturday, February 09, 2008
LIFE ON MARS is Back! (Kind of)
But some casting news from DOCTOR WHO Series 4 first.

The casting for DAVROS takes an odd turn...

As revealed in this month's DWM there are two notable additions to the pant-tightening new episodes. That's STEVE "Do I Look Weirder Without Make~Up Or With It?" PEMBERTON and TALULAH "Potential CDW" RILEY (she's the one on the left). The TV landscape saw the return of GENE HUNT in the sequel, of sorts, to LIFE ON MARS. It's called ASHES TO ASHES, though some are already referring to it as "A2A", and, to be honest, it ain't all hunky dory.

No. 1 in a Series: WTF are they wearing?

Basing a show round a one-dimensional (albeit hilarious) character like HUNT is dangerous and I hope that future episodes flesh him out a bit more. Good points: neat soundtrack, they've chosen some cracking tunes and ones that are not normally heard on these endless Eighties look~backs; the "BOWIE Clown" (I know it's Pierrot) was top notch and genuinely eerie in parts; it was quite funny and this brings me to the negative issues. Reducing what was essentially a very effective drama ('Life On Mars', that is) to a roust-a-bout lark with machine guns did not sit well with me. The A-Team? Yeah, I got it. It wasn't that clever or that funny. I didn't really take to the female (both character and actress) and her set-up was rather poor, just how did her daughter get through a police cordon? The constant referencing to SAM TYLER got on my nerves too and served as a reminder what missing from the show - JOHN "Will He Be Back As The Master?" SIMM. The makers are swimming in shallow pool at the moment, they need to find a way into the deep end.

No. 2 in a Series: WTF are they wearing?

TORCHWOOD also provided some larfs this week (albeit unintentional) with the appearance of, what people are calling, the "SPACE WHALE". I thought they were doing a good job (except for the eyes) until the end when they showed it and it made me think of the SKARASEN which I mentioned a few posts back. Sock~puppet anyone? Also, when did CAPTAIN "My Poor Friend" JACK become SPOCK? Apart from that the episode was allright. Normally I'm not a RHYS fan but he was pretty good. There's a double~bill next week which sees the return of MARTHA, huzzah! Let's hope they find a way to get her to kiss GWEN.

When people ask, "What is a CDW?"...

BUZZCOCKS came to a rip~roaring end with a top panel including; MOBY - who didn't seem to mind that a lot of people don't like him; DALE WINTON - who showed off some actual humour; and JAMELIA who did a fine line in hitting BILL "When's He Gonna Be In Doctor Who?" BAILEY over the head with a bottle. This series was undoubtedly the best, top marks guys. Wish it was on every week. The IDOL auditions came to an end, sadly, and I can't help but feel they toned down all the weirdos this year. I did guffaw when some chick, after being refused by all three judges, asked, "Is today opposite day?" I'll need to remember that line.

The terrifying 'Space Whale'! Tastes fine, apparently.

Film-wise, I finally got round to seeing NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. Powerful, powerful stuff. Great cast and a very tense and gripping story. And there was no music! It's easy to see why it's being lavished with all the awards. Speaking of which, it seems the Writer's Strike is finally over so the OSCARS (the ceremony) will go ahead as planned. Woo~hoo! New version of the CLONE WARS to get a theatrical release? Someone seems to think so, go HERE.

No. 3 in a Series: WTF are they wearing?

Music-wise, I 'got' a few new releases including: "Neptune" by THE DUKE SPIRIT, listenable but not essential; "19" by ADELE, looks like WINELIST has started her own genre; "Made In The Dark" by HOT CHIP, some great tracks surrounded by some banal garbage; "Sleeping Through The Static" by JACK JOHNSON, so unlistenable that I didn't hear the whole thing; the eponymously titled album from VAMPIRE WEEKEND, good stuff with a reference to PETER "I Can't Believe 'SLEDGEHAMMER' Was 22 Years Ago!" GABRIEL and a top tune in the form of 'A-Punk'; and "Do You Like Rock Music?" by BRITISH SEA POWER, pretty yawnsome in the vein of EDITORS and INTERPOL. I really 'dig' the new single from DUFFY, it's called "Mercy" and it'll be huge. Already is, 'cos they (and by 'they' I mean RADIO 2) haven't stopped playing it for the past month. Other top singles of the moment include: "Get Over It" by GUILLLEMOTS; "Great DJ" by TING TINGS; "I Thought It Was Over" by THE FEELING; "Young Love" by MYSTERY JETS; and "Big Umbrella" by KINGS HAVE LONG ARMS. Check 'em all out somewhere, perhaps on my radio show: Mondays & Wednesdays at 10am.

No. 4 in a Series: WTF are they wearing?

'Til the next time,
C.


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 8:04 pm -
2 Comments:
  • At 11:00 pm, Anonymous Whelks said…

    "The makers are swimming in shallow pool at the moment, they need to find a way into the deep end."

    Nice imagery!

    There's certainly a danger that with a program leaning so heavily on nostalgia as a prop, the creators might be tempted more towards broad humour and larding on obvious cultural references.

    I reckon it'll improve over time though - and hopefully the strength of the story-telling will provide some much needed depth.

    Talking of nostalgia, I absolutely LOVE "Mercy" by Duffy. (Rather keen on her as well, oh dear, shouldn't be saying that). Puts me in mind of the halcyon days of Dusty, Sandie, Lulu and...errr....Cilla. (Sorry - but I have to confess to singing along to the advert featuring Cilla belting out "Something Tells Me Something's Gonna Happen Toniiiiiight").

    I know it's wrong, but I can't help it.....

    I have to confess that I thoroughly enjoyed TW this week. Indeed I somehow managed to get a piece of grit in my eye, just around the point when the creature in the warehouse breathed his/her last.

    Sniff....excuse me, it appears to have happened again......

     
  • At 10:46 am, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    WHELKS -

    The makers of A2A are also relying heavily on LIFE ON MARS too much. The whole TV/Radio thing was too much. It's as if they are signposting the show's limitations.

    I think you have a thing for gap-toothed Welsh chicks! Oh yeah, so do I... "Mercy" is a top tune. Her last one, "Rockferry", was also a topper. Looking forward to her album.

    I think the SPACE WHALE was a 'she'. Rather feminine eyes. I find I'm rather negative about TW (are we reducing everything to acronyms?) even though I do enjoy watching.

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives