This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Thursday, February 14, 2008
MARTHA JONES IS BACK!
Oh boy!

Oooo, Happy Valentine's Day you saucy cow!

There was a double~bill of TORCHWOOD this week and what a time to do it with two episodes that kicked it up a notch - big style. First up was ADAM where the aforementioned Adam was a new addition to the gang (including the title sequence), or was he....? It's not the first time that this idea had been visited in sci~fi - BUFFY, RED DWARF & STAR TREK have all done the old character change trick - but that don't bother me. Right from the get~go this was a topper. BURN "Actually Born In Hollywood!" GORMAN's portrayal of OWEN in this episode was excellent and, even though I have always enjoyed his character, he really shone. Making the next episode even more, oops, I'll stop there; just in case you didn't see the next one, which I'll come to soon enough. RHYS got some good stuff again and it's pleasing to see an alien enemy whose existence was not tangible. The ending did set~up future possibilities: Jack's memories, according to Adam, would be gone forever, but, of course, I'm sure that will not be the case. The repressed will always find a way to, erm, press? The only bad thing about the episode was the scene where Jack was acting as Jesus as he handed out pills to the team. Some poor choices there (along with unconvincing performances) although I found it touching that IANTO (who is getting better all the time) referred to his "ex" Lisa. Next up, was the return of MARTHA in RESET. There are MAJOR spoilers following so if you do not want to know what happened, avoid the next paragraph .

Watch out! Spoilers ahead!

Blimey
, as soon as MARTHA appeared (along with her theme tune!) I got a bit teary. So good to see her again. What was weird too was that as she entered the door we got a glimpse of the newspaper cover seen in BOOMTOWN. Also adding to this juicy goodness was ALAN "I Bet He Gets Sick Of People Referring To NEIGHBOURS, Oops!" DALE who, sadly, didn't make it to the end. I would have liked to have seen him again as he didn't give an eff about Captain Jack and his crew. The CGI work was pretty good and the aliens were well realised. What else happened? Hhmm... oh yeah, OWEN was flippin' killed! I was shocked. I thought to myself, "Don't worry, they'll bring him back to life quick sharp". But no. Dead. Why kill off one of the best (if not the) characters? I have to think that this is not the case and, by coincidence, I just watched the episode from Series 1 where OWEN was revealed to have some sort of link with the WEEVILS. Will this come into play? The "Next Time" showed a lot of Weevil activity. Will he be back? Guess we'll have to wait and find out which brings me to the last point about this week's double~bill. This is the first time (since the denoument of the first series) that I have been genuinely excited about what was to come. Stout work.

G'Day Jim!

Elsewhere in the land of TV, LOST delivered another top~notch episode. Although I was looking forward to some juicy flash~forwards we got, instead, more flash~backs. But they were as intriguing as flippity, introducing new characters who don't seem to care about the survivors. New guy, DANIEL, is already immensely watchable and I'd like to see him and DESMOND do a show together. A tea~time chat show. They're both so flippin' odd! Nice reference to LOCKE's kidney too. Anyway, apart from some daft script choices, the story bundles along with brilliance and each week cannot come too soon for me.

Daniel - My New Fave

Elsewhere, the BAFTAs took place and what a shoddy, shoddy show it was too. JONATHAN ROSS was abysmal (again!) as were the technical aspects of the ceremony, specifically the sound. Good to see so many non-English winners though, up yours UK & Hollywood! But will someone please explain the criteria on which the academy use to brand a film 'British'? THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM?? EASTERN PROMISES??? It annoyed me last year too, you can see my 'rant' HERE. And ATONEMENT getting best film? Pur~lease. Full marks to TILDA "There's Something Very Erotic About Her That I Can't Put My Finger On, But I'd Like To!" SWINTON for looking really bad!

What did they kill to make that outfit?

And let's not forget MARION "1st French Chick To Win Best Actress BAFTA" COTILLARD who, despite her very appealing, pleasing and honest acceptance speech, also managed to look like a right trollop.

She's lurvely but, crikey, get her a stylist.

And, let's not forget those who chose to get knocked~up before the awards ceremony. That's right, it's my occasional features: PREGGERS & FAMOUS, stand up (slowly mind) KELLY "Married To The Bass Player From TRAVIS - classy!" MACDONALD and SAMANTHA "Played A Mermaid In A U2 Video - classy!" MORTON!


'Til the next time,
C.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 11:52 am -
9 Comments:
  • At 4:34 pm, Blogger Richard Starkings said…

    The Martha episode was easily the best so far -- it was like a Steed and Peel AVENGERS. I'm having breakfast with TORCHWOOD script editor Gary Russell in ten minutes and I'll grill him about the fate of Owen... although I can assure you, he won't tell me ANYTHING!

    It's the GALLIFREY convention here in LA this weekend -- I'm also breakfasting with Steve Roberts of the Restoration Team and Sue Cowley of BBC Worldwide. My part of the woods is Little Britain for the next three days! If only it would rain.

     
  • At 4:45 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Agreed. The dynamic is much better there with [SHORT ROUND] DOCTOR JONES [SHORT ROUND].

    Check you! Breakfast with Gary! I think I have some of his books somewhere.

    The line~up for that convention is purty good. The Restoration Team do such a bloody good job. And BBC WORLDWIDE? Fancy! Looking for a deal?

    Oh yeah, speak to the Moff!


    You're in LA breakfasting with legends whereas I am off to the pub to play dominoes.

    No, really!

     
  • At 5:53 am, Blogger Richard Starkings said…

    I met Sophie Aldred today -- and I MELTED.

     
  • At 10:30 am, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Gasps

    [Picks jaw up from the floor]

    Flippin' eck Tucker!

    You are truly among the gods.

    Did you ask her to marry you?

     
  • At 4:32 am, Blogger Richard Starkings said…

    Of course; what kind of a fool do you think I am?!

    We realized, however, that our spouses and children might object to the union.

    The GALLIFREY con was great, and I did speak briefly to Mr Moffat, although he strikes me as being quite reserved in private... but his live DVD commentary of BLINK was hilarious... he accidentally made a point about there being Silence in the Library and apologized to DWM, but, well, i don't know what that was about. I never did find a library in the hotel, or determine how quiet it was in there.

    R!

     
  • At 8:38 am, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    live DVD commentary of BLINK??!!

    Blimey, that sounds good.

    Is 'Silence In The Library' the title of one of his episodes?

    Maybe he revealed it before DWM was going to?

    The library at Uni is never quiet...

     
  • At 3:10 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    also, I wanted to post the following comment on your blog but it wouldn't let me, grrr!

    (for those who have not read his post I suggest you do so now as this will make no sense)

    Here it is in all its 'hilarity':


    "Must have been a twist in your sobriety then...

    There is, afterall, a good tradition of it in the comic business.

    I was hunting high & low for gags to use here..."


    High-larious

     
  • At 12:36 am, Blogger Lou said…

    It took me long time (last ep) to get with Martha but found myself cheering when she came through the door in Torchwood. She was rockin' :)

    I was most surprised at the demise of Owen, especially after seeing the BBC3 ep this week. How can they 'bring him back'? I will have to wait two weeks to see the conclusion of that one - or not! Who the devil knows? Not me - for that I am grateful :))

     
  • At 9:20 am, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Ha ha, I also let a cheer when she came through the doors. Did I cry with joy a little too? Possibly. It was topping to hear her theme tune too.

    OWEN being killed was a huge shock, couldn't believe they let him die! He's the best one! It's great feeling to be actively excited for the next episode. What will happen?

    Well, I know what happens (as do other BBC3/Torrent users) but, of course, I won't spoil the next episode for you but there will be a review of it in my next post. So watch out!

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives