This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 08, 2008
RON SEXSMITH Is Back!
Who? I suspect you're asking.

That's him on the right. I mean, left.

I quite often forget to mention music in my posts (which is odd 'cos that's what I do for most of the day - listen to music) so there's a few reviews in here of recent releases. As you may have guessed from the title, RON "Sex"SMITH is back and as tit~tuggingly wow~some as ever. Those of you familiar with my blog over the past two and a half years or so will know I'm a big fan of his and his work is often at the top of my end~of~year charts. I'm guessing his latest, Exit Strategy Of The Soul will be residing there too.

That's him on the... erm, cover.

Ron (and I feel comfortable calling him that) has one of those unique voices that, for me, makes me ache with joy when I hear it. He makes even the more mediocre tune (and he's done a couple) sound as vital and as groin~grabbingly essential as possible; it's got a fragile yet tremendous soul resonating within it. How odd, then, that his new work should include a couple of instrumentals but never fear as he's translated his emotions with some panache on those two, brief tracks. Elsewhere, the Canadian (but don't hold that against him - joke!) delivers with all his usual melodic guile.

This party blows!

His tunes are never really instant, they take a couple of listens before you fall madly in lurve with them but there are a few that hit you immediately. The current 'single', This Is How I Know serves its purpose as an advert but I think they could have chosen One Last Round or, the even better, Brighter Still as a lead track. Popping up also is his version of the collaboration Ron did with fellow Toronto resident, FEIST - Brandy Alexander. Again, another radio~friendly samplet. Yes, I did mean to type samplet, I'm 'playing with language'.

Lookin' good, you talentless s~bag!

So, top marks to the Ron~ster. Not his best but I can heartily recommend it to anyone with taste. Sticking with singer/songwriters (I hate that expression), I 'got' 22 Dreams by PAUL WELLER and, wait for it, some of the tracks were more like nightmares. See what I did there? Cripes, is it time to go back to Uni yet? Anyway, there are some terrible songs (and dull instrumentals) including a talking track which I couldn't make my way through once but there's also some top tunes to be found. Would have made an acceptable single album. Sadly, 'acceptable' is not a word I would use to describe the latest pieces of work by SARA BAREILLES and JASON MRAZ. Avoid. Unless you like them, of course.

She's been getting her hits on the recent tour...

Speaking of avoiding, I downloaded the 'leaked' tracks from Chinese Democracy, the upcoming album from GUNS 'N' ROSES. Hell's teeth, it was bad. Real bad. So bad that I'll move on to some good stuff. SIGUR RóS are back on the 'scene' (and I used the phrase like an old man uses the internet - baffled and confused) with an excellent, if unpronounceable, album, MEO SUO í EYRUM VIO SPILUM ENDALAUST. Although I don't really associate these guys with pop tunes, there's a couple of, dare I say, 'singles' on there. Already Gobbledigook has received a fair amount of airplay in the UK and I can see Vio spilum endalaust getting an outing too.

... whilst she's just a washed~up C.

I think it would be fair to say, however, that if you don't like the band then this will do nothing for you. Your loss. Well worth a listen and even paying actual money for. I think the BBC will be annoyed though, as there is no equivalent of Hoppípolla, from 2005's Takk, on this. What will they use for their trailers now? How will the nature documentarians cope without that song, so overly used here in the UK. Lastly, I paid real hard~earned money for the iTunes only release, Adam & Joe's Song Wars, Vol. 1.


This, as some of you may have guessed, is a compilation of songs from THE ADAM & JOE SHOW. I've been enjoying the guys' work on the radio immensely recently and these songs are terrific~ly tuneful and, at times, funny. Granted, there's the odd puerile moment in there but if this had been a debut from a 'real' band then this album would have been hailed as a work of social~commentary/pop~esque genius. Songs like European Supermarket and their take (two different songs) on I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here! are as studied as they are hummable. Plus, it's only £6! A small price to pay for such large larfs.

[German Pyschiatrist] Ah! Robert Smith, he is in~se~cure! [/GP]

'Til the next time,
C.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 11:27 am -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives