This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Friday, July 18, 2008
WALL-E Is Here!
Huzzah!


I lurve that little guy and, what's more I luuurrrve the film. I am, of course, referring to WALL-E; the latest masterpiece from PIXAR. Now, if you cannot tell where this review is going, I'll 'fess' up - it's great (the film, not the review - it's bland). There are SPOILERS (though only slight) included in this review so you may want to move on from this post. Got it?


So, as you may have already guessed, this 'analysis' will be slightly positive. A rarity for me these days but it was long overdue. If I may contextualise for a moment, I'll verbalise on PIXAR for a couple of sentences. They were on a streak of hot goodness 'til they produced CARS; technically brilliant but poorly scripted and cast. Slightly better (actually, quite a bit better) was RATATOUILLE but I didn't really connect with that one either so WALL-E is a welcome return to form. And, not only that, PIXAR have 'stepped up to the plate' and 'upped their game', if I may use two horribly redundant and overused phrases.


I forgot about the pre~film cartoon so PRESTO came as an extra special treat. A simple premise but so imaginatively realised that I regretted wearing my trousers, again! Lots of laughs packed into a couple of minutes but it's the creative juices behind it that made my brain bulge with ebullience.


It's difficult to start enthusing on WALL-E 'cos there are so many high~points but I'll start with a vital part of the process - casting. Full marks to PIXAR, yet again, not bothering with stars who cannot voice properly - and I'm referring to KUNG FU PANDA here (coming up in my next post) - and casting great voices. JEFF "Curb" GARLIN is a welcome addition to the animated scene and does a stout job as the ship's captain. SIGOURNEY WEAVER pops up reprising her robot voice from FUTURAMA to some effect too. But the real star is, obviously, the 'voice' behind the eponymous robot.


BEN "The Guv'nor" BURTT has done some sterling work over the years - STAR WARS, INDY, et al and he continues to expand his oeuvre with some marvellously childlike (not in a bad way) and sensitive voices. All the kids seem to be running about mimicking the little guy. Sticking with sound, the score is also remarkable. THOMAS NEWMAN delivers a variety of themes and melodies ranging from the expectant upbeat and chirpy to the creepy and slightly unsettling. [RICHARD MADELEY] A bit like life itself... [/RICHARD MADELEY]


And how could I not mention PETER "A Dad Again - Durty Boy!" GABRIEL and his top track Down To Earth placed during the end~titles. But stick around 'cos you get to some dazzling images, including a reference to DIG DUG (if I'm not mistaken), whilst your ears are treated to the former GENESIS front~man's tune. OSCAR please! The film's story itself is simple and strong with the message carefully not AL GORE'd into your skull. Having said that, the beginning is bleak (for the adults anyway) and reminiscent of BLADE RUNNER with a similar 'Off World Colony' advert.


This ad, bizarrely, featured FRED "Wha Happened?" WILLARD and the live~action in the film was certainly a bit of a shock but it neatly showed the displacement that humanity had incurred. Design~wise, perfect. Though you could argue that WALL-E is nothing more than a JOHNNY 5 rip~off. Well if you do think that, you may want to re~calibrate your brain. There are also some nice nerdoid moments in there (probably too many to pick out) and I did giggle when the Mac start~up noise chimed. And there are plenty of larfs to be found in this tale. The majority are visual as there is little dialogue for the opening thirty minutes or so. If only very movie considered dialogue so heavily.


So, starting closing paragraph voice, you really need to see this beautiful movie. It's a feast for the eyes and the soul. Not to be missed.


'Til the next time,
C.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 10:47 pm -
6 Comments:
  • At 1:07 pm, Blogger Dick Madeley said…

    [RANT]I don't understand the crack aimed against my humble person. Nor do I like being reduced to a HTML code.[/RANT]

    Otherwise: nice review.

     
  • At 1:47 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Dearest D,

    Please accept my humble apologies. It was meant as, *coughs*, an 'homage' to your 'style' and, *coughs*, 'wit'.

    I think it's wonderful to be reduced to an HTML code. I wish I could be.

    Mind you, I wish I was in TRON.

     
  • At 2:18 pm, Anonymous patrick said…

    Wall-E totally looks like the robot from "Short Circuit"... minus the cheesy 80's style of course

     
  • At 2:28 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Apparently JOHNNY 5 was the inspiration for WALL-E.

    He also befriends an insect just like his Eighties counterpart.

    It must be said, though, SHORT CIRCUIT is an abysmal film and the less said about its sequel the better.

     
  • At 3:13 pm, Blogger Richard Starkings said…

    Best film of the year.

     
  • At 3:23 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Without a doubt my friend, without a doubt.


    And how good was it earing PETEY G at full volume in a cinema?

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives