This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 26, 2008
AMY ADAMS Is Back!
What do you mean who?

Corr! Nice, erm, hat?

I am, of course, referring to the lurvely lady who starred in ENCHANTED and also sang the A~W~E~S~O~M~E chant in an episode of THE OFFICE. Yes, that AMY ADAMS. Well, as you may have guessed, she's back and more trouser~tighteningly erotic than ever! The time: the Thirties; the place: London, England; the film? MISS PETTIGREW LIVES FOR A DAY. If I were to 'nutshell' (yes, I'm using that as a verb, get over it) this movie, I would describe it as a JEEVES & WOOSTER~esque style romp with women instead of men.

Puff!

In fact, PETTIGREW & LAFOSSE would make a pretty darn good series. Adams plays Lafosse, an 'actress'/singer/social butterfly trying to make it big by sleeping with everyone she can (actually, she's only involved with three men). It's to her credit and immense like~a~bility (is that even a word Cam?) that her sexual dalliances do not taint her lurveable character. Her, without wanting to offend Sienna Miller, 'slut~a~bility' comes off as a rather endearing treat, not unlike a child who demands too much chocolate. As with her OSCAR~nominated DISNEY role (I know it wasn't but it should have been!), Adams throws herself completely into the role and, re~affirming her trademark talent, gets to sing a tune too.

Warning! There is a bath scene in this film...

If I were to label a criticism at my favourite Actress~Of~The~Moment, it would be that this role shares some similarities with GISELE; namely her upbeat naivety and optimism in the face of adversity. But, as long as she doesn't make a habit of it, this really is the only negative point about her I would want to mention. Some would say "play to your strengths" and that's a fair remark to make in this increasingly strength~less world. But who is the titular Miss Pettigrew then? Its FRANCES "Mc"DORMAND, that's who!

The original Beauty & The Beast

And an incredibly unflattering role she has taken too. Pettigrew is the antithesis of Lafosse - no colour, no life and dogmatically adheres to her morals and rules. Although she does a great job, I cannot help but feel that the producers of this flick would have been better casting an English actress as McDormand's accent is not the best. It's by no means bad but just a bit stilted in parts. Certainly nowhere near as good as the accent so flagrantly displayed by LEE "Pushing Daisies" PACE. Top marks to him.

Don't like her hat in this pic...

The rest of the cast, too, are excellent and I was most surprised to see KATY "Wasn't She Mentioned In The Last Post?" MURPHY pop up. My DOCTOR WHO radar got switched on and flagged up SHIRLEY HENDERSON and CHRISTINA COLE who appeared in Love & Monsters and The Shakespeare Code respectively. All in all a remarkable film that seems to have nobody remarking on it at all. A perfect way to spend ninety minutes (in fact, it's slightly under the 90 minute mark!) on a Sunday afternoon perhaps. More please! 'More', however, was not something I said after watching the next film under scrutiny, HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY.

Ghostbusters III takes an odd twist...

Let's 'contextualise' first. I was not overly keen on the first HELLBOY flick. Some nice designs and characters but overall I felt the dialogue and the production, for want of a better expression, a bit cheesy. No malice towards it and it certainly didn't irk me. Similarly the sequel had the same outcome. Again some brilliant designs (lots to look out for in the market sequence) and I would like to single out the tree~monster thingy there; an excellent set~piece, superbly realised. Due my lurve for Guillermo del Toro this film carries a certain good~will on the behalf of this reviewer but I have to put my objective hat on.

Just one of the many fantastic creatures in HELLBOY II...

Like the first one, thew dialogue tries way too hard to be funny and whilst the audience (big crowd) I was in with hooted with laughter regularly (especially at the drunk scene), I'll admit there were no larfs from me. The performances are all acceptable and the cast throw themselves in with much glee, though it has to be said SELMA "Kath & Kim? Really??" BLAIR is pretty much a misery guts all the way through (there's a reason though...) and, for me, there were too many unremarkable fight scenes and slightly cliched moments (people not getting on at first 'sight'). But I think, like MAMMA MIA!, I've missed the boat on this one - I just don't 'get it'.

I think she's about to deliver a GOLDEN ARMY...

'Til the next time,
C.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 11:04 am -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives