This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Thursday, September 25, 2008
TV Is Back!
I lurve September...

Classy as ever...

You guys in the States (and there are a few of you) have got the right idea - stick on all the good telly in September. Although not all of the shows have started back yet, it's still an exciting time on the box. I'll start with the UK and its 'offerings'. First up, the new yoof show from BBC3, it's MASSIVE. I won't spend any more time on this other than saying that, in comparison, it makes HOW NOT TO LIVE YOUR LIFE look like FAWLTY TOWERS.

How many GUY RITCHIE films does it take to put in a lightbulb?

Mind you, having said that, I actually got to like HN2LYL (see what I did there? I'm being like the typical BBC3 viewer) by the end and, in another senior moment, I went to the iPlayer to watch the last in the current series (a mighty six episodes! How the Americans envy us!) only to find out that I had actually watched it. I was disappointed, which must mean that somewhere in my noggin there was a part of it that liked it. I feel so, durty... Not as durty, however, as I felt watching BILLIE "Pisses On People (Fictionally)" PIPER in the second series of SECRET DIARY OF A CALL GIRL.

That AMY WINEHOUSE look is really catching on...

Not particularly good to be said but worth watching to see how poorly they cover her pregancy in certain shots. Remember Elaine in SEINFELD, when JULIA "Louis" DREYFUS was preggo, and all the ridiculous things they got her to wear in that? (Granted, it was deliberate.) Well this is not as clever as the US sitcom. Too obvious, the cuts between body and head. Disturbingly so that it takes me out of the show (the biggest crime a production team can make if you ask me). And what's the deal with her make~up? Effin' shocking. So much so, that the humour now comes from Billie and her appearance, not the show. Haven't got a clue what's going on there.

The new SPIDER MAN and villain revealed...

Actually, I s'pose the biggest crime is making something so sh*t that you stop watching. Will that happen with MERLIN, the BEEB's big new cross between HARRY POTTER and HIGH SCHOOL MUSCIAL? I think possibly. Especially after EVE MYLES did not survive the first episode (or did she?). What's in it for me? I will say that the direction was tops, as were the majority of the FX shots, but the cast aren't great; and it could go either way. The young actors are all just a bit bland and I cannot have been the only person waiting for RICHARD WILSON to belt out I Don't Believe It!

That CELINE DION look is really catching on...

Eve got to show off herself with some style and it was certainly a groin~grabbingly good performance from the Welsh strumpet; notably the 'song' scene at the end, top stuff. But all this 'magic' business? Since when was Merlin a flippin' Jedi? He looked at stuff, it moved. That's what a Jedi does. Where's the potions? Where's the incantations, spells?? Maybe this will be answered in time. I'll give it another week but there better be some skirt in it for this old man! Or, at least, some knockers.

Amazingly, this shot features no CG - it's all his own work!

Not to be outdone, ITV fought back with their new show NO HEROICS on the Thursday night friendly channel, ITV2. Not the most original of ideas, we've seen the 'other' side of superheroes on a number of occasions before, but it was delivered with some panache - largely down to the very experienced cast. There were a few LOLs but I had to wonder why JAMES "Once Dated Janeane Garofalo, Apparently" LANCE was Spanish. It literally made no sense. And that accent? Was it meant not to be funny? Was that the gag? I can see this getting good so it gets another chance too. See how generous I am.

Looks like they're gonna adopt...

Continuing with generosity, I watched HARRY & PAUL again. Why, you scream! Didn't I rip it a new one last time? Well, I had it on while I was 'doing' the dishes (usually how I watch most programmes I think won't be much good), and that's my excuse. Anyway, it did ellicit a few larfs from me this week. Despite being a good decade out of touch, the Nelson Mandela Sings The Blurs sketch made me giggle. I think it was the sight of Harry as Nelson jumping up shouting "Parklife!" And 'out of date' pretty much sums up the BASIC INSTINCT parody they performed though I did smirk at the use of the phrase, "Rumpy Pumpy".

The GUNS 'N' ROSES reunion gets off to a bad start...

Sticking with the guy from the Eighties and the guy from the Nineties, their continuing skit on foreign footballers (again, about 20 years too late) did get funny when the manager started to sign to the deaf player, speak "Scottish" and then Latin. We did, however, have to put up with Whitehouse's range of terrible Johnny Foreigner accents. Lastly (why so long on this one Cam?), they did a sketch that cropped up throughout the latest episode where Tony B~Liar (that's my attempt at a gag there) was working with a company 'in the city'. Although not funny, it was an interesting statement on his ineffectualness (or perceived) as the former PM couldn't get the simplest of tasks right. But, at the bottom of the ladder, the young mail~boy (who wasn't presented as stupid) told him, simpering like a fan and without irony, "I loved what you did in Iraq." Clever, yes. Funny, no.

Her dad launches in into I Don't Like Mondays, again!

ENTOURAGE, rather bizarrely, is now broadcast in the UK just days after it hits the US (granted I still download it the day after) and what a treat. Highlight so far was the latest episode where Vince sang Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You at a young slut's Sweet Sixteen party. Almost OFFICE~like in its cringe making. Elsewhere on the downloads, starting up this week were: THE BIG BANG THEORY - I don't use this expression (like, ever!) but it's applicable here, meh; TWO AND A HALF MEN - he's more like three quarters now ain't he?; and THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE - a couple of larfs but it's still a bit lame even if they centered it round a 'gay' wedding. Excitingly, the television landscape is about to get more, erm, exciting...

Apparently one of these people is MICK JAGGER, but I'm not sure which one...


'Til the next time,
C.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 5:20 pm -
12 Comments:
  • At 10:38 pm, Anonymous Caffeinejunkie said…

    Because you don't have comments on the Blogtor Who blog, can I just state my glumness that you've decided to shut it down. I understand why you did it, but I'm disappointed because it was one of my first ports of call.

    Thanks for the work you did though.

     
  • At 5:28 am, Blogger joy said…

    Yep. Fall TV is the most wonderful time of year.

    All the new shows, all the new advertising, all the new tv. Love it.

    Though, it's probably a good thing for my viewing schedule that there's a delay between the UK/US schedules...because if I had to add on your new fall schedule to my current one of something like 22 hourlongs, I might as well give up my day job and watch tv for a living. :-)

     
  • At 8:42 am, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Caffeinejunkie

    Thanks for your kind words. It wasn't a decision I took lightly but it the problems had been ongoing for some time.

    Thanks again.



    Joy

    Here in the UK we don't have the same deluge of new TV like you guys in the Fall (which is just as well for me too).

    Hopefully there will be some new gems in the US line up.

     
  • At 10:59 am, Blogger Michael said…

    It smells like you're bitting for being a Freeview user or something.

     
  • At 2:44 pm, Blogger joy said…

    *runs back in*

    OMG. I just saw Blogtor Who. That made me very sad.

    I totally understand why - you put a helluva lotta work into it, and no WAY should anyone just abscond with that info like some plagiarizer in the night.

    Still.

    *sniff*

     
  • At 3:12 pm, Anonymous panodk said…

    I too would like to express my condolences in regards to your BlogtorWho site. Living in the States I often checked your site with glee in hopes of seeing the latest RT cover or listening to a new DT/CT radio interview. Thanks for all your hard work in keeping the site up to date with the latest Who-goodness!

     
  • At 4:26 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Michael

    Your comment has slightly confused me, not really sure what you mean. But, for the record, I don't have Freeview.




    Joy

    *enjoys the added physicality to the comment*

    Yup, the probs started months ago and didn't really stop. Thanks for your support though, much appreciated



    panodk

    Thanks for your lovely words. I do feel a bit bad leaving all the internationals in the lurch but more and more sites seem to be posting the material (maybe not as quick as me!) so hopefully you won't miss out on too much.

    I will be using my Flickr page, as normal, updating it with new DW merchandise. Just added the new Dalek Calendar to it.

    Thanks again,
    Cam

     
  • At 1:24 am, Blogger Helen said…

    Hello Cam, I'm just adding my voice to all the sad Blogtor Who fans... it wasn't just that you were quick; you were always really comprehensive, non-spoilery and funny too. I'm gonna miss BW.

     
  • At 12:23 am, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Thanks Helen, it's nice to know that I affected some people's lives in a positive way.

     
  • At 4:25 pm, Blogger joy said…

    Dude - FYI, I added Stuff on TV to my FB blog list, but had to create the profile for it. But, I think you as the owner have to search for it.

    Obvi, you don't have to do anything with it, but I thought you should know that it's been added to FB.

     
  • At 5:39 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Sah~Weet!

    Thanks for that. I assume FB is FaceBook, right?

    (Did I sound like an old man there?)

     
  • At 6:46 pm, Blogger joy said…

    Hahahaha, yes, FB is Facebook.

    And yes, you sounded like an old man. That's ok, you're excused.

    And you're welcome, of course!

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives