This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 01, 2008
SARAH JANE IS BACK!
Rhumba snort!

Insert Don't Get Lippy With Me 'gag'.

Yup, and it's bigger and better. Well, actually it's pretty much the same as last year (no bad thing) but I feel you have to say B&B whenever a new series or finale comes along. As a side~note, bigger does not necessarily mean better and why people feel the need to up the ante continuously is beyond me. Anyway and so to the opening SERIES 2 (that's right US readers, 'series'!) two~parter of THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, the factually titled The Last Sontaran.

Whatd'ya mean you prefer the flippin' Judoon?

What differentiates this from some of the recent BBC output for 'youngsters' (that's people younger than me, not hard I know) is that the cast have a lot of personality and vibrancy which shines through. Refreshing compared to the dog plops that are SPOOKS:CODE 9 and MERLIN. Even the 'lesser' characters, such as Maria's parents, are written well but, more importantly, performed with nothing less than vigour and, dare I say, vim. So (and without wanting to sound like Alan Sugar) it's with regret that we say goodbye to the Jackson family, this being their finale of sorts. Well done to them all! And I think I started to have a thing for the mother. Hhmm, Chrissie....

Oh Chrissie you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my pants, hey Chrissie!

Back to the story. A very solid opener and a neat tale to boot adding to the collective Sontaran personality. The chap featured here, Kaagh, had all the attributes you look for in one of those crazy bastids but, and get this, he had a fancy helmet! It was all compooperised 'n' that. And he went all PREDATOR~like and invisible! There were some nice nods to the often~overlooked~'cos~it~sits~between~two~classics, THE SONTARAN EXPERIMENT - much appreciated by this 'ole nerd. And did I hear a sound~effect resurrected from THE HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY? I think I did!

Say 'ello to my little friend!

Not only that but we got a mention of the Battle Of Hoth. But, as with a number of two~parters, the second half failed to live up to the potential of the first - still good, but not nearly as. Whilst on the negatives, the direction was perfunctory at best throughout and the 'action' scenes were not realised as well as they should have been. Also, I found the shoehorned (pun slightly intended) intro with Sarah Jane and Maria totally unnecessary - the opening at the Radio Telescope was infinitely more effective. Quibbles aside, it's a top start to Series 2 but next week's sees a monster that was long thought dead, BRADLEY "The Maestro" WALSH!

Casting begins on ANOTHER LAST SONTARAN!

'Til the next time,
C.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 8:44 am -
4 Comments:
  • At 10:54 pm, Blogger derekcbart said…

    Hello.
    That definitely was the sound of The Book from H2G2 used for Mr. Smith.
    -Derek

     
  • At 10:08 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Yeah, how car~azy is that?

     
  • At 12:06 am, Blogger GoldenGait said…

    Seriously? Merlin was a "dog plop"? I was told it was decent? Guess I'm going to actually have to put some effort in and tax my brain by watching and formulating my own opinion.

     
  • At 8:34 am, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Certainly the second episode was. I barely made it to the end of it.

    The first one, though, was at best 'OK'.

    I only know two other people that saw it and they weren't as enthusiastic as I was about it. (Not that I'm using other people's opinions to back up my own - I'm sure many enjoyed it).


    In my most recent post there's a paragraph on the second episode and there's a review of the first one in the post titled "TV Is Back".

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives