This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Saturday, November 08, 2008
Why Aren't THESE Guys Being Mentioned?
I am, of course, referring to the candidates for the actor who will play The Eleventh Doctor in the popular TV show, DOCTOR WHO. Bookies, bloggers and numerous websites all mention the same names so I decided to do a Top 5 of actors who I haven't seen in the running to be the Time Lord. I would also like to point out that these are serious suggestions - unlike the lists that include women (it's not called Nurse Who you know....), John Barrowman and Russell Tovey. Here we go...

TOP 5 ACTORS WHO COULD PLAY THE 11TH DOCTOR BUT, FOR SOME REASON, HAVEN'T BEEN MENTIONED BY THE BOOKIES, BLOGGERS OR ANY OTHER OF THE SQUIBILLION WEBSITES DOING POINTLESS LISTS


5. Richard Ayoade

Yeah, OK - this one isn't entirely serious but, having met him, it would be nice for me each week turning to Mrs Stuff~On~Tv saying, "I know him!" Ayoade has definitely got an 'other worldly' thing going on and looks not too shabby in a long coat. Plus he wear specs. Did I mention we've met?



4. Jamie Bell
When I saw ballet boy (was it ballet he did? Can't remember) in Hallam Foe last year he impressed greatly. Bell is a top actor (and does an impressive Scots accent) and would be a unique addition to the world of WHO as he evokes none of the past Doctors and has a look which could easily be plastered over lunch boxes and pants. And surely he could make us forget Jumper?



3. John Krasinski
OK, this is a long shot but who wouldn't want an American in the leading role of the UK's most beloved show? (Don't answer!) Yup, Jim from The Office would make a splendid Gallifreyan - all awkward looks and smudge smiles. Downside? Possibly too tall and I think that Big Tuna probably doesn't have the time to spare. But surely he could make us forget License To Wed?



2. Andrew Buchan

Whaddaya mean who? Andy B has a certain Eccleston~like charm and impressed no end in the sadly defunct Party Animals - in fact Matt Smith from the same show would also be a top choice. Buchan has recently wowed audiences on ITV's The Fixer (I don't watch that channel so I cannot comment). Almost the perfect actor, if it wasn't for....


1. Matthew Macfadyen

I'm gobsmaked to see his name has not been linked anywhere to the role. To me, he's the prime candidate - young(ish), handsome and has done a lot of good TV but not so much that he's associated with any part or genre. Also, he's on the BEEB's biggest show of the moment, Little Dorrit. If I were a betting man, I would smack down a pony on him.


So, I ask again, why haven't these guys been mentioned?

'Til the next time,
C.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 8:12 pm -
12 Comments:
  • At 12:56 am, Anonymous Whelks said…

    Some good calls there - but I reckon you've come up with a prime candidate in Matthew McFadyen. I seem to remember he was in Spooks for quite a while, so presumably he is well used to the challenges of "genre" tv.

    Certainly, rather him than blummin' James Nesbit.....

    It's odd actually - now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever really concentrated that much on who I would like to see as "the next Doctor" - ever since Tom Baker/Peter Davison. Too busy worrying about what's going to happen to the current one.

    (I don't think I've ever really recovered from Peter Davison regenerating into Colin Baker. I eventually came around to liking CB as the Doctor, but by God, he made it hard work to do so!)

    I can think of a multitude of actors I would NOT like to see in the role however

    Mr Nesbit
    Robson ('n'Jerome) Green
    Joanna Lumley (lovely woman - superb in Sapphire and Steel, great in the New Avengers, very funny in Ab Fab, entertaining in some sort of camping program a few years back when she made a pair of slippers out of her bra.....but Doctor Who? No! (apart from Curse of the Fatal Death...))
    Robert Carlyle - sorry, but no. Just.....no.

     
  • At 12:33 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Apparently Jimmy Nesser has ruled himself out (please let that be true!) And as for Robby C, groan!

    I only started thinking about the 'next' Doctor 'cos there were some glaring omissions in the lists doing the rounds. It made me a bit suspicious....

    In reality, I think the actor has probably been chosen. Filming starts in June for Series 5 and the scripts are being worked on now so Stevey M is bound to have sorted out the actor playing him. Surely.....

     
  • At 1:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually, Matthew Macfadyen has been on a few lists and, in addition, there was a BBC5 Radio interview with him a couple weeks ago (ostensibly to discuss Little Dorrit but getting into other things as well) where the interviewer asked him point blank if he would be interested either in (a) returning to Spooks for a few guest appearances or (b) Doctor Who. MM's only reply was a laughing "I haven't been asked."

    For the record, I think he'd be a great choice. He can do anything acting-wise, is especially expressive with his eyes when acting ('Arthur Clennam' should convince anyone of that) and seems to have a yen to do something more off-beat for a while. So count me in on him, no matter how unlikely I think it.

    One tsk-tsk though. Whilst I agree that I don't want to see a female Doctor Who... shame on you for the Nurse Who comment! You know, this is an age where women actually ARE doctors! (And I have to say that the suggestion of Maggie Smith was a fabulous one... not necessarily for the 11th Doctor, but perhaps for a role as another Time Lord discovered who, at the end of a 2 episode arc, dies. After all they did it once before with that plot about "the Master"! Why not give Dame Maggie a chance to shine as, I don't know... the Doctor's mother???

     
  • At 3:10 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Interesting, I haven't seen him mentioned but glad to see he is being asked about DW.

    As for my "Nurse Who" comment, that was a 'gag' - I am well aware that women are doctors too. Maybe not wise to make such 'high~larious' remarks in these post Brand/Ross times but I like to liven it up now and again.

    The reason why I think it's ridiculous that women crop up in the list is that The Doctor is a man. There are female Time Lords - Romana, for example, made a brilliant companion back in the Seventies (but don't get me started on the Rani). They don't change sexes (not yet anyway - I'm sure that could all change).

    The press like to stick women in there (as does RTD & Co.) 'cos it makes a 'story'. JNT started the trend back in the 80s and I'm sure it will continue.

     
  • At 5:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "As for my "Nurse Who" comment, that was a 'gag' - I am well aware that women are doctors too. Maybe not wise to make such 'high~larious' remarks in these post Brand/Ross times but I like to liven it up now and again."

    Understood... I wasn't really offended either, just felt you should get a bit back for it, LOL Actually, as a woman myself, I'm much more interested in seeing The Doctor remain male.

    If he didn't possess the drawback of being American, I might suggest Adrian Brody... but I do think The Doctor needs to remain British, and even an American who can do an accent would be unacceptable to me. There's just a core difference between American and Brit humour and quirkiness that most Americans (and before someone crucifies me, I am one) just don't fully get deep in their souls to translate into their acting.

     
  • At 5:43 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Brody would be an excellent choice.

    Though he probably likes being in films too much!

    No matter what rubbish he stars in, he's always worth watching.

     
  • At 4:45 pm, Blogger FRANK said…

    I'd be happy if McFayden or Bell got the role. I'll poke my own eyes out with a sharp stick if Robson Green was ever cast.

    Saw RTD in conversation at the NT on Saturday night and he said no one has been cast and it's a long way off yet. But we know he lies. A lot. The swine. They knew DT was leaving way back at the beginning of the summer so the Moff was well aware he'd be writing for a new Doc. I've heard on the grapevine that they will screen test before Xmas. And I was having a conversation with someone who suggested that the Moff might go with someone he's worked with before and both Richard Coyle and Jack Davenport could be seen as potentials for the role. Not sure about that!

    My suggestion would be to get the role cast and get it announced. Put a stop to all these agents getting their clients in the papers.

     
  • At 5:24 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    It seems like everyday someone comes up to me with another 'exclusive' from a tabloid regarding the casting.

    I have complete faith that The Moff will do what's right in that department. If the screen test thing is true then a Christmas announcement would be possible (unless it turns out to actually be David Morrissey...).

    That's great you got to see RTD, the master of manipulation. He said that Davey T revealed his 3 Series plan during the filming of The Runaway Bride so it's not like they didn't know.

     
  • At 5:07 pm, Blogger Multiple Miggs said…

    Matthew Macfadyen would be splendid as the good Doctor. It certainly beats many of the other names being bandied about.

     
  • At 6:37 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Very true.

     
  • At 4:32 pm, Blogger Mikey said…

    I'm glad someone else agrees with me about Matthew McFadyen. I started a thread in Outpost Gallifrey suggesting him too! I watched him on Spooks, but it was his Little Dorrit performance I saw recently that made me think, "yes, he would be fantastic as the Doc!"

     
  • At 10:17 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Nice one!

    How did the suggestion go down on the OG?

    I've never seen SPOOKS (yet I did watch CODE 9 - groan) but he's real good in LITTLE DORRIT.

    I think he's got it all which makes his absence from the Bookies list even more bizarre.

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives