This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 31, 2008
2008 REVIEW: Part 3 - Films
Oh dear.

Old!

I haven't been to the cinema since September! Due to my 'lifestyle' over the past few months I haven't been able to see any new flicks. Well, in actual fact, I've seen plenty but none of them 'new' in the sense of this year - all as part of my course at Uni. But pretty disgusting nonetheless that a film student has neglected what's going on around him. Having said that, I'm not entirely sure that I've missed much.

Will the Port~ster make the 10?

I will be trying to catch up over the festive period but if you think this list is rather weak then it's entirely my fault. I just haven't seen a lot this year. There, my excuses are over. The films included have all been released within the UK this year - some were released last year in other countries. Just missing out on a Top 10 place were: The Wackness; Be Kind Rewind and Horton Hears A Who. It's not a great 10, I'll be honest. But there we go, I have made my apologies.

2008 TOP TEN FILMS

10. SON OF RAMBOW
Although this is a charming and quite lurveable film, the soundtrack had me sitting watching in Mr Angry mode. Anachronistic? Possibly. Just wrong? Definitely. I'm just too much of a nerdoid to let it lie. Bah!

9. IN BRUGES
Another 'small' film that outshines the bigger releases of the year. Even more surprising was the fact that Colin Farrell didn't make me want to grab my brain and pull it out through my nose like he often does.

8. DAN IN REAL LIFE
Yet another 'wee' flick that seemed to pass everyone by. Mainly due, I'm guessing, to the awful poster that accompanied its release making it seem like some tedious childish comedy. Plus Juliette Binoche stars, yummy!

7. THERE WILL BE BLOOD
I.... DRINK... IT... UP!

6. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
I'm not a huge Coen Brothers fan (though one of my all~time faves is The Hudsucker Proxy) but this hits the proverbial spot. Javier Bardem became the best super~villain Batman never faced.

5. MAN ON WIRE
Sadly, not the Goldie Hawn/Mel Gibson sequel we've all been waiting for but a charming and highly engaging real life story that could never happen these days - thanks Al Gore! Petite (the titular walker) and his exploits will leave you in sheer wonder and his manner will make you want to give him a big special cuddle.

4. MISS PETTIGREW LIVES FOR A DAY
Lurvely, lurvely Amy Adams. Trousers. Removal of. For my full review, click HERE.

3. SWEENEY TODD
I'm a Burton slut, it's that simple. Apart from Planet Of the Effin' Apes, his oeuvre makes my junk take a trip to fun~town. For my full review, click HERE.

2. THE DARK KNIGHT
Although there are a few flaws in Nolan's latest work, it's still a corker and highly enjoyable (yes, some of us enjoy it!) I watched it again just last night and was glued from start to finish (with sarky remarks added too) - a good sign. For my full review, click HERE.

1. WALL•E
Not just the best of 2008 (by some margin I will add) but surely a contender for best of the decade. PIXAR at their utter finest. Also, I lurve robots. For my full review, click HERE.


To see my top films of 2006, go HERE and for 2007, go HERE.

'Til the next time,
C.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 1:19 pm -
2 Comments:
  • At 3:47 pm, Blogger Richard Starkings said…

    Heath Ledger was great but otherwise I think DARK KNIGHT was very disappointing -- I thought IRON MAN was the best superhero movie in years and QUANTUM OF SOLACE was the best of this year's sequels. We do agree on the best movie of the year and IN BRUGES, but where is SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, Cam? JUNO? QUARANTINE?

     
  • At 3:56 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Haven't seen Slumdog as it's released in the UK next week.

    I'd forgotten about Juno 'cos I saw it back '07 (though it was released here in Feb). To be honest, it wouldn't have made my 10 anyway.

    Didn't see QoS or Quarantine (I hadn't even heard of the last one!), hopefully I'll get round to it at some point.

    Ta for the suggestions!

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives