This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Thursday, January 01, 2009
2008 REVIEW: Part 4 - Doctor Who
Poor Donna, sniff...


Without a stinker in sight, the most recent series for Doctor Who has certainly been the best since its return. The quality rises as do my trousers when Cathy T makes an appearance. Or Georgey M. So here's a rundown of this year's adventures. For my review of the SERIES 4 DVD box set, click HERE.

Looks like RTD has more atrocities planned before his departure...


2008 TOP 10 DOCTOR WHO STORIES

10. THE DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER
Two words: durty AND bastid. For my contemporarious review, go HERE.

9. THE SONTARAN STRATAGEM/THE POISON SKY
Proof that I, in fact, don't hate the work of Helen Raynor. The return of the Sontarans (not my fave monsters it has to be said) was a lot of fun and the story, like a number in this series, had a cracking 'old skool' feel to it. Plus Martha got covered in goo. Yummy! For my contemporarious review, go HERE and HERE.

8. PLANET OF THE OOD
I lurve the Ood. Almost as much as Donna's coat in this story. For my contemporarious review, go HERE.

7. PARTNERS IN CRIME
Series~openers, throughout the forty~five year history of the show, are a tricky affair but 'they' got it right here. When the Doctor and Donna finally meet, we're treated to the finest comedy the show has produced. Even more shocking was RTD's inclusion of the 'secret' scene featuring Rose at the end. A move that would anticipate the secrecy and eroticism that surrounded the finale. For my contemporarious review, go HERE.

6. THE UNICORN & THE WASP
Did someone say marmite? Personally, I think that there should be at least one episode like this per series. Lots of playfulness great performances. For my contemporarious review, go HERE.

5. THE FIRES OF POMPEII
An almost perfect story if it wasn't for the arse~clenchingly bad ending. I'm referring to both the "It's so... volcanic" line and the Doc and Don as household gods. Gah! For my contemporarious review, go HERE.

4. SILENCE IN THE LIBRARY/FOREST OF THE DEAD
Now we're getting to the really good stuff. Stevey M is back with yet another beautifully constructed story. Lots of mystery and superb visuals. But the question that's on everyone lips is, will Donna ever find that bloke from her special universe again? For my contemporarious review, go HERE and HERE.

3. THE STOLEN EARTH/JOURNEY'S END
As a 'live' event both parts of the finale were trouser~tighteningly delicious. But, it stands firm on repeated viewings though I'm still left wondering why they bothered with Jackie (actually, I know full well why as RTD revealed in The Writer's Tale). My fear is that the motto bigger and better will exponentially rise as the years go by. Time to take a step back I feel. For my contemporarious review, go HERE and HERE.

2. MIDNIGHT
An incredible story. This went out at 7pm on a Saturday night for flip's sake! A gripping tale with an incredible cast and Davey T got the chance to show off his actoring skills (something I feel he didn't really get much chance to do this series - not his fault). The moment of transfer was sublime. 10 points and a gold star to Lesley Sharp for her performance too, simply chilling. The highlight, of course, was the sight of Donna in her gown. Cripes! For my contemporarious review, go HERE.

1. TURN LEFT
Greatest Doctor Who ever? Yes. The greatest story ever told? Well maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself but Turn Left sucks me in every turn and churns me out a babbling, weeping child. The only thing that annoys (and does so intensely) is that daft bitch who stands and points at Donna outside the hotel on Christmas Day. Gah! For my contemporarious review, go HERE.

Only three full series? You effin' lightweight!

For my review of Doctor Who in 2006, click HERE and for 2007, click HERE.


'Til the next time,
C.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 9:52 am -
2 Comments:
  • At 3:37 pm, Blogger Richard Starkings said…

    The story I enjoyed the most on the day of transmission was MIDNIGHT, which was easily Tennant's most surprising and unsettling performance of the year... however, on repeated viewings I think SILENCE & FOREST is the richest story of them all with THE UNICORN AND THE WASP a close second. I do like TURN LEFT but I think that Catherine Tate showed what an asset she was to the series much earlier on, in FIRES OF POMPEII. I'd stick PLANET OF THE OOD in 4th place and, ahem, THE NEXT DOCTOR in fifth. As much as I enjoyed the season finale, I think there was so much more to enjoy earlier in the season, except for that Sontaran stinker which wouldn't make my top ten.

    Rich!

     
  • At 4:03 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    ha ha, looks like we never agree on WHO!

    Doing this year's 10 was pretty difficult as I felt they were all so bloody good.

    Don't let Helen Raynor hear you use the words, Sontaran stinker...

    Glad you enjoyed Unicorn & The Wasp like me, I greatly look forward to Gareth's next story.

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives