This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Saturday, January 03, 2009
The Eleventh Doctor IS Matt Smith!
Wow!

Matt "Doesn't He Look Tired?" Smith

Back in November I mentioned him as a possible (albeit as sidenote) in THIS post and yesterday I dismissed him as being too young and a bit too similar (despite his quality) to Davey T (I'm sure the BEEB ain't complaining) but MATT SMITH is The Eleventh Doctor.

Hands in pockets? Worra scruff!

I thoroughly enjoyed Party Animals (the only thing I've seen him in) and was greatly disappointed when it was cancelled; it even made my end of year Top Ten. Full marks to The Moff & Co. for being so brave in casting such a whipper~snapper AND an unkown (though people who watch telly 'properly' know who he is).

"Cam's calling me Matty S, already??"

I'll be honest with you reader, when Davey T was announced as Chrissy E's replacement I had no strong feelings either way; though I didn't think he looked very Doctor~y. My hopes were neither high or low. I'm not a prediction kind of guy, that's just the way I roll. But the casting of Matty S (as he will now be known) does get the ole trouser region braced for some action in a very real and meaningful way.

He seems as excited as I am!

He does have a 'look' and those who have seen him will not doubt his acting chops. Most amusingly, however, is The Guv'nor himself, Stevey M who prefers 'older' actors to play The Doctor and has cast the youngest ever. The future is lookin' good. Just a bit annoyed we have to sit through a year of Davey T before the new guy takes over (that is a joke for those too idiotic to realise)... Now can we get Andrea Riseborough as a companion?

The Dream Team

'Til the next time,
C.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 6:20 pm -
12 Comments:
  • At 6:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is going to be interesting. I'm totally blown away by this choice - but I trust Moffat to know what he is doing. I remember when they chose Davidson to replace Tom Baker - I was so mad, but ended up liking Davidson anyway. We'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

     
  • At 7:06 pm, Blogger Emm said…

    I'm happy. I was worried I was going to be disappointed as I wasn't keen on any of the bookies' choices but I am happy. I think he is a complete loon and therefore perfect for the part. Hopefully he'll stick around for more than three years and not break my heart like DT!

     
  • At 7:14 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Anon
    Agreed, the choice is definitely 'out there'. It's good they didn't feel the necessity to get a 'big' name.

    I don't remember the announcement when Davison was to follow Baker but I do remember the regeneration very clearly. Wasn't too upset 'cos old Tommy B scared the crap out of me (still does!)


    Emm
    ha ha , "a complete loon" - that sums him up beautifully!
    I'm also very happy that the "Bookies' Favourites" turned out to be so wrong.
    Here's to 2010!

     
  • At 8:26 pm, Anonymous SueDoc said…

    I would love for such a young Doctor to have an older companion -- I can just picture a granny dusting the TARDIS...!

     
  • At 8:34 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Yah, I suggest Cathy T as her 'Nan' character.

     
  • At 3:37 pm, Blogger joy said…

    They could totally do a Sid and Nancy'esque Doctor/Companion thing now. It'd be interesting.

    Everyone seems to be vouching for the new boy, so I'll totally give him a shot.

    It was definitely an interesting choice. Now, on with the companion betting.

    (I wonder how much money was lost with all the Doctor betting.)

     
  • At 5:14 pm, Blogger joy said…

    Hah. Apparently, ask and I shall receive. Though I *really* don't believe the Beeb didn't know...for as far as I've seen, the Beeb seems to be omniscient.

    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i-OmTo0Q-kkq3XPTJIhPDnpwfMug

     
  • At 6:55 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Sid 'n' Nancy? That would be high on the old intrigue monitor. Two effed up youths creating carnage throughout the universe!

    I became aware of his odds being slashed on Friday so I'm sure the BEEB were too. I think, due to their charter, the BBC cannot be seen in any way to promote gambling. Especially in the context of a family show.

     
  • At 8:47 pm, Anonymous Caitlin said…

    Who says the next companion is going to be female?
    It could be a guy...or it could be two people. If Moffatt is wanting to get away from the romantic doctor stuff it could be anything. Who knows we might get a new Romana...just pray its not another Mel

     
  • At 9:19 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Who says the next companion is going to be female?

    Me, that's who!

    Of course, the production team may indeed not go for a gurl. Unlikely, but possible. Three in the TARDIS would also work as the Jack, Rose & Ninth Doc proved.

    Odd you should mention Romana 'cos I've just name~checked her in my list of proposed actresses (oops!) to play the companion.

    It's funny that although it was over twenty years ago, the memory of Mel lingers....*shudders*

     
  • At 5:29 am, Blogger StormWolf said…

    I need to find a way to watch Party Animals.

    I remember seeing "Matty S" (that nickname just tickles me in funny places) in Ruby in the Smoke *ages* ago and thought, "Who's this guy playing Jim? He's great! I'd love to see him in other stuff." Then I checked his work and he mostly did theater, so I figured I wouldn't see him much.

    Then, while watching that special DWC, his face popped up and I almost yelled out, "HOLY CRAP!" It was so surprising and very exciting to see this brilliant young actor again, and being cast as the next Doctor to boot!

    So, color me very happy.

     
  • At 10:09 am, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    I missed Ruby in the Smoke and the sequel but, like you, from his first appearance I was impressed (and mentioned here!)

    As soon as they said 'youngest actor ever' I knew it was going to be him. I think he's a great and very exciting choice. Roll on 2010!

    As for Party Animals, it is available on DVD though I noticed it's not in stock anywhere! Hopefully the BEEB might repeat it (which they haven't yet - bah!).

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives