This is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWANThis is a Blog from CAMERON K MCEWAN

 

 

 

Monday, January 05, 2009
LILY ALLEN? Are You Effin' Kidding Me??
I suspect so.

Ewww! It's Planet of the Gross.

Still, a bit unnerving that her name should be mentioned by one of the DOCTOR WHO production team. But these guys are clever enough to keep the press machine spinning on and how better than to start the rampant speculation on the next companion or, if you like, assistant. So, in the spirit of the trisquillion lists on the go, here's mine!

TOP 15 POSSIBLE
11TH DOCTOR COMPANIONS

15. EMMA WATSON
Unlikely as she's still got some Harry Potter garbage to get through but hey, you never know with actresses, they're so flighty! Whether or not The Moff would regard this as one youth too many is probably up for debate. Apparently she can act, haven't seen any evidence of this however.

14. LACEY TURNER
If she's smart she'll try and get out of Easties (or, if you prefer, 'Stenders) and hop onto the WHO train while she's still young. Lacey T can do feisty and slightly slutty (actually, hugely slutty) so not a bad contender. I'm sure the BEEB would prefer an 'in~house' move for an actress.

13. REBECCA HALL
Although I think she's tops, her career seems very rooted in films these days with her excellent role in The Prestige and a recent Woody Allen film on her CV. Mind you, with the money the BEEB saved on getting Matty S, they might be able to allure her.

12. ALICE EVE
Interestingly, and I use the word quite geekily, Alice starred in Starter For Ten with the aforementioned Rebecca Hall. Eve's career isn't quite as stellar as hers though so it's a possible.

11. MICHELLE GOMEZ
After seeing her in Taming Of The Shrew last year, I found a new respect for the scariest woman on telly. The image of her and little Matty S traveling through the cosmos does bear thinking about.

10. SOPHIE WINKLEMAN
Big Suze! She seems to be floundering in TV shows at the moment, turning up in Ruddy Hell! It's Harry & Paul and bit parts in 'stuff' like Kingdom. I've been attracted, sorry, interested in the Soph~ster ever since her first appearance in Peep Show (laughs, remembering how many people were sure that Paterson Joseph WAS the eleventh Doctor) and this could be the part she needs/deserves.

9. AMARA KARAN
Like Gomez, I saw Amara in Taming Of The Shrew last year and she was quite stunning. Karan has a very distinctive look and the acting chops to go with it. She ain't done much screen stuff but she did appear in St Trinians as well as the terrific Wes Anderson flick, The Darjeeling Limited. An unknown accompanying another unknown? Are the new production team that brave/stupid (delete where applicable).

8. OLIVIA COLEMAN
Yeah, this is never gonna happen but I have a lorra lurve for the Cole~ster (or, as Mitchell & Webb call her, Colly). She's a fab actress and would bring a certain Cathy T~ness to the role of a companion. A very daring choice if they made it but I think they've already gone down that road enough in the casting department.

7. MICHELLE RYAN
Ex~Easties, failed in the States and now back in the UK in the atrocity that is Merlin (I say 'is' 'cos they're making a second series - groan!), Ryan has a look which I would describe as groin~grabbing. She needs a 'hit' soon before the Celeb shows come calling. Fact fans note: she also starred in Jekyll from none other than, Steven Moffat...

6. CATHERINE SHEPHERD
Like Sophie Winkleman, the wonderful Cathy S turns up here and there (in not always the best of shows) and delivers brilliantly but she hasn't had anything yet that is really hers. I've been attracted, sorry, interested in Cathy S ever since she turned up as awkward student in Peep Show. Visually she would match the odd looks of Matty S quite well.

5. KEELEY HAWES
Don't let A2A (that's Ashes To Ashes grandad!) put you off Keeley, she could make a very interesting 'sidekick' to Matty S. Older and, perhaps, wiser. If ever Romana were to return then Hawes would be the perfect regeneration (unless The Mill can CG up Mary Tamm or Lalla Ward - yummy!).

4. OLIVIA HALLINAN
I cannot claim to be a fan of Lark Rise To Candleford (though the Christmas special was acceptable fare) but if there's one thing I do like about it, it's Mark Heap. But, since I'm not discussing male companions (not on my watch!), the other good thing is Olivia Hallinan. This 'up and coming' little lady impressed in Sugar Rush and even turned up in Torchwood (showing up some of the less talented actors). Plus, ain't she purty?

3. KATHERINE PARKINSON
Man, how awesome would this be? I lurve this woman deeply. Though the combination of WHO and Kathy P may make my trousers explode. And not in a good way.

2. SHERIDAN SMITH
As the police would say (that's the law enforcement agency, not the band), she's got previous. The two jugs actress voices the companion Lucie in the WHO audio adventures with Paul "Didn't He Get A Lot Of Screentime In The Most Recent Doctor Who Confidential? In Fact, He Got More Time Than Baker And McCoy Put Togther" McGann. She popped up in the recent Jonathan Creek displaying her companion~esque abilities. As well as her knockers.

1. ANDREA RISEBOROUGH
This would be my personal choice if it were up to me. Everything I've seen Andrea in, she's been simply stunning; from her comedic role in Magicians to the selfish cow in Party Animals (along with Matty S, yes that's right) to the incredibly dramatic The Devil's Whore. Not only that but she made Margaret Thatcher seem like a real human being; now that's acting! Plus I fancy her a bit too - shock, horror!

No Matt, you're The Doctor not the companion.

Of course, it doesn't need to be some new s~bag they get in the TARDIS. Personally I would be more than happy for one of these lurvelies to return (in fact, this is what I would prefer).

TOP 3 "RETURNEES"
3. GEORGIA MOFFETT
The return of Jenny Who seems inevitable anyway as it was The Moff's decision for her to come back to life (the old sentimental bastid!) but the real question is, would she start bonking Matty S?

2. CAREY MULLIGAN
Again, another Stevey M inspired choice. Carey, as I'm sure you remember, starred as Sally Sparrow in his story Blink. And, as with any Stevey M tale, nobody gets killed so she seems ripe for return. And she's not bad on the eye...

1. CATHERINE TATE
Could there be any other?


'Til the next time,
C.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

posted by Cameron McEwan at 1:18 pm -
28 Comments:
  • At 7:11 pm, Blogger joy said…

    It seriously *has* to be someone he can't get together with, otherwise, you risk upsetting (further) those DW purists who didn't like the Doctor/Rose love story. So if it's remotely in his age group, there's already the "what are they getting up to in the TARDIS" spec.

    I wouldn't mind Georgia, if she could tear herself away from DT. Love the Carey Mulligan suggestion.

    Sad that we have no suitable American candidates to offer. But that skews the show if he comes to NY to pick up a companion, methinks.

    (Oh, incidentally. And this weekend I really did try to do a "definitive DW episode" marathon of all the different Doctors, based off the list of definitive eppys I found on Fandomania.

    And promptly got stuck 15 minutes in, on that Androzani/Peter Davison episode. DT really wasn't kidding that it used to be "the Doctor, oh, and a girl who screams a bit.")

     
  • At 9:24 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    I like the idea of DW purists getting upset 'cos they are the very people who would bring the show to a rapid halt should they ever take control!

    If anyone could make a love story interesting, it's The Moff (having said that RTD did a bloody good job too. Sorry, what was my point?).

    I did think about including some Yank chicks however the only two I could think of both appeared in The Office - Jenna Fischer and Rashida Jones. But the likelihood of an American companion is slim.

    The Caves Of Androzani is my favourite of the 'classic' series even though it does include the dreaded Magma Monster (or whatever the hell they called it).

    Peri was a bit of a screamer...

     
  • At 9:29 pm, Blogger joy said…

    Ok. Just for that endorsement, I will give it another shot this weekend.

     
  • At 9:33 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    I think it may only really work if you've invested time in Petey D's Doctor.

    Of course, I wouldn't recommend spending that much time.

    Androzani is certainly a lot more pacier and closer to modern day Who (but still very different) in terms of direction. No surprise as it was Graeme Harper who was behind the camera on that one.

     
  • At 10:47 pm, Anonymous Whelks said…

    Thank you very much for suggesting Michelle Gomez - I've been flipping between chortling and frowning over that possibility for...well, the past ten minutes anyway.

    I could certainly picture her side by side with Doctor 11, facing-off against the Silurians, Sea Devils, Terrible Zodin, Monoids...

    Your list has thrown up a number of other very intriguing possibilities though. I rather hope that the Beeb takes some time before announcing anything though - feels like we're practically wishing Doctor 10 out of the TARDIS doors before he's even laced up his Converse...s.

    Oh and I agree wholeheartedly re Catherine Tate - her time is not yet up. Who better to be there by the Doctor's side to help him through his regeneration?

    Adding in my tuppenceworth on Doctor 5 - Caves of Androzani an undoubted classic, but some of his best adventures have been committed to audio - (Big Finish productions - "Spare Parts", etc).

     
  • At 10:53 pm, Blogger joy said…

    Incidentally, this was that Definitive DW list from Fandomania:

    http://fandomania.com/doctor-who-45-years-of-time-and-space-the-definitive-stories/

    About three-quarters are on Netflix' Watch Instantly list, so I suppose at some point, an insomnia night or two may be devoted to catching up on them.

     
  • At 11:00 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Mr Whelks, you are more than welcome!

    I like to think of StuffOnTv as the veritable, chortle city.

    The biggest prob about Michelle Gomez is what I would reduce her name to. ShellGo?

    It does seem that Davey T is but a distant memory even though we've still got a year of him to go! I fully understand why though, it's big news. And the BEEB press machine have handled his departure and Matt's introduction very well. No leaks. Amusingly, the viewing figures for Saturday's DWC beat ITV's new show, Demons. Snigger.

    As for Petey D, Spare Parts is great but I also feel that Kinda through to Earthshock are also brilliant tales. Lots of variation.

    Best,
    C.

    PS. I will see your mention of the Monoids (very nice incidentally - it had me chuckling) and raise it with the Tractators

     
  • At 11:12 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Joy

    Thanks for the list, much appreciated. I think Mr Whelks will be taking a look at that too.

    There's some surprising choices in there for sure. Personally I would avoid:
    Curse Of Fenric is a mess (but, then, I'm not a McCoy fan); Mark Of the Rani is just dog plops (but, then, I'm not a Baker fan); likewise Ghostlight is not worth your time.

    Hold on, the Paul McGann 'movie' makes the Top 25? Who made up this list? I doubt even the most ardent of his fans would have that in the Top 25 Eighth Doctor stories.

    The Invasion is often cited as a 'classic' but its overly~long, likwewise Inferno suffers from this too. They've stuck The Time Warrior in there too which is weird 'cos neither of those are two of the best Pertwee tales. If you're looking for his best I would suggest The Sea Devils or Carnival of Monsters.

    City of Death is an absolute corker and is one of the very few stories that doesn't outstay its welcome. There's almost no padding in that four~parter. On that note, I've always felt that Genesis could have been shortened by an episode or two as there's a lot of to~ing and fro~ing in there. having said that, it's still one of the best.

     
  • At 11:14 pm, Blogger joy said…

    Awesome, thanks for the guidance!

     
  • At 11:19 pm, Blogger Richard Starkings said…

    Sally Sparrow's Lesbian Spank Inferno anyone?

    Just me?

     
  • At 11:20 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    I should point out that some WHO fans will be recoiling in horror at my comments.

    Opinions, as you may have gathered, differ wildly within the 'community'.

     
  • At 11:24 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Richard!

    I am shocked, stunned and disgusted.


    As well as aroused.


    Something to make you larf, the first song played in Saturday's tribute to Paul McGann, sorry I mean Doctor Who Confidential was by....

    ....

    Coldplay!

    I thought of you and giggled.

     
  • At 11:33 pm, Anonymous Whelks said…

    Many Who fans exist purely in order to recoil in horror. It is their default setting.

    (Having spent much of the mid-80s recoiling in horror, I feel reasonably qualified in that regard!).

    Indeed much of the recoiling in horror is best done in extreme close-up, as perfectly exemplified by Colin Baker in almost every cliffhanger throughout the Trial of a Timelord...

    Oh and by the way, I beat back your puny Tractators with - gasp - Meglos (and his "spiky" personality. Baboom tish!)

     
  • At 11:42 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Whelks
    As always, you've opened your mouth and a great truth has sprung forward.

    Meglos! Gah!

    I say, Styggron. Beat that/him.

    And what was the deal in that series? First they 'old' Tommy B up in The Leisure Hive and the 'spike' him up in the aforementioned Meglos.

    Clearly JN~T didn't like him...

    On a similar note, I have just made my way through the E~SPACE TRILOGY DVD Box Set. Reviewing it for Den Of Geek.

     
  • At 1:50 am, Anonymous Scardis said…

    You put in Emma Watson as a maybe but for me I reckon the most likely one to come out of Harry Potter to become Doctor's companion would actually be Natalia Tena, who has starred in About a Boy with Hugh Grant and that kid off Skins.

     
  • At 10:51 am, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Scardis

    That's a very interesting choice. I'll confess that Natalia Tena completely passed me by but she does have an odd look about her.

    It's shocking how different she looks in 'real' life than she does in the HP films. I'm still not sure it's the same person!

    Good choice though.

     
  • At 12:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sandra Bullock please

     
  • At 12:13 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Is she even still alive?

     
  • At 12:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes Sandra is alive although Speed 2 almost ended her career..think of it an assistant with more balls that Matt S...she's had longer to grow hers

     
  • At 12:25 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    I only ask 'cos I saw here in The Lake House and she looked pretty dead in that!

    Sandy B probably has a higher sperm count than Matty S too.

     
  • At 12:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah she's defo full of spunk

     
  • At 4:38 pm, Blogger Misssy M said…

    I would like to see a companion with whom the idea of an attraction is out of the question. I sometimes think that lack of sexual chemistry could be a good thing. Although I liked the whole Rose thing, maybe a big age gap would provide a new twist to the Doctor/companion relationship. I'm for June Whitfield!

     
  • At 5:34 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    June Whitfield?

    Isn't her YOU~KNOW~WHAT haunted?

    I agree with you on sexual chemistry, I refuse to have any in the house.

    As my first wife will testify to.

     
  • At 6:41 pm, Anonymous Mark Donaldson said…

    Older woman, definitely, someone like Maggie Stables (Though easier on the eye please...sorry Maggie!) from the audios. It just seems right to play with the 905(?) year old who looks like he's only 26. Though I wouldn't say no to Sheridan Smith or Katherine Parkinson. Wouldn't mind them as companions either...boom boom.

     
  • At 6:47 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    Wow, you've manage to out~geek me with Maggie Stables!

    I haven't heard any of her audios.


    Basil Brush as companion you say...

     
  • At 9:43 pm, Blogger Stephen Graves said…

    Your list left out Stephanie Leonidas (worked on MirrorMask with Steven Moffat's chum Neil Gaiman, and Dracula with former Who guest stars Sophia Myles and Marc Warren). And thus it is full of Fail. :p

     
  • At 9:57 pm, Blogger Cameron McEwan said…

    STEPHEN!

    I have to admit that I have never seen Stephanie Leonidas in anything. She certainly passes the trouser~tightening test though!

    I have MirrorMask on the pooter somewhere but have yet to watch it.

    And top marks for introducing me to the phrase "it is full of Fail", I must remember to use that in the future.

    Many thanks!

     
  • At 8:47 am, Anonymous Miguel said…

    Omg I love that Picture of Zooey. I have had a crush on her since forever ago. If I had that image but larger I would make a poster out of it

     
Post a Comment

Links

Previous
Archives